Using the internet for quite a considerable time automatically compels users to use streaming services.
This is common when you have nothing to do at the given moment, and you know it’s a weekend ahead.
Not only this, It will allow you to watch your favorite stuff without any distractions or interruptions by any commercials.
Whether it’s through Netflix, Spotify, Youtube, or any other app, streaming services give one of the most popular internet entertainment to users.
Nowadays, media streaming has become a great source of entertainment, and the credit goes to the technology advancements.
For those who are new to streaming, let’s discuss these services from the basics.
Also, we will discuss the pros and cons of the media streaming services and what you need to stream online content flawlessly.
What Is Media Streaming?
Streaming services allow you to interact with the required file and its downloading process.
You can watch movies and listen to music using the internet without waiting for longer.
Unlike downloading, streaming videos does not take much time, and you can watch movies almost instantly.
A downloaded file gets stored on your hard drive while streaming videos stay temporarily on your device only when you are accessing the streaming app.
As soon as you leave the app, the file will be deleted permanently from your device.
Another major benefit is that you can watch streaming videos on any device, including desktops, laptops, and smartphones.
If you have a small storage space left on your drive, you can still stream videos and watch movies or TV shows.
Let’s have a look at the advantages and disadvantages of streaming in the upcoming section.
Advantages of Streaming
Streaming is an instant and continuous source of accessing online content, and it’s a prominent method that allows people to experience audio and video.
Other benefits of streaming includes:
1. Instant & Immediate: Streaming content starts to play immediately regardless of the volume and size of the file.
You don’t have to wait for the file to download on your system, as you can view the content without downloading them on your computer.
2. No Hardware Consumption: As discussed earlier in this article, streaming videos, even the large ones, do not require any storage.
You are not required to hold the content on the hard drive to view it. Just open the app and start streaming and watching the content.
3. Direct & Time Saving: Most streaming applications allow you to view the content directly and immediately.
You do not have to wait for it to get broadcasted on TV. It saves a lot of time and gives you the flexibility to watch it at your convenience.
Disadvantages of Streaming
1. Internet Connection Required: The major drawback of streaming apps is that you must have a reliable internet connection to access the app and stream content.
If you have some troubles streaming content, you need to check your internet connection.
2. Payment Security Issues: You need to provide your financial details when buying a subscription for streaming applications from unreliable websites.
Though this does not apply to all the platforms as the majority of websites take consistent steps to enhance their security.
3. Limited Online Audience: One of the major drawbacks of streaming applications and content is that it is accessible to a limited audience.
Those who do not have an online presence or reliable bandwidth cannot view the content.
How Much Internet Bandwidth Is Required
While you are streaming online, a reliable and faster internet connection becomes imperative.
The bandwidth that you need for streaming depends upon the kind of content that you select to view.
- Audio Content: Your internet speed should not be less than 1.5 Mbps if you wish to stream audio content like songs, music, and podcasts.
- 4K Video Content: For streaming 4K videos, make sure you have an excellent broadband connection with at least 25 Mbps speed.
- High-Definition Video Content: Your internet speed must not be less than 3 Mbps for Streaming high-definition videos uninterruptedly.
- Gaming & Entertainment: If you are an avid gamer, you need a minimum of 10 Mbps of uninterrupted connectivity to be able to play games online.
What Obstructs Your Streaming Experience?
Streaming is a fragile process, and a number of factors can easily interfere with the smooth functioning of streaming applications.
A good internet connection is key to ensure uninterrupted streaming of content.
Either you should have a WiFi broadband connection or an Ethernet cable connectivity for flawless playback.
Sometimes, you need to block ads to continue faster streaming on your computer.
The streaming experience also depends upon your device’s processor and memory.
Apart from that, if the streaming app that you are using is experiencing any sort of downtime or technical glitches, you will also experience slowdowns.